E36-A/C control module

For no apparent reason the digital display goes blank on my '96 328i. Then
it will return for no apparent reason. This is a pain when your fan goes at
20 deg. on the way to work! Has anyone encountered their digital temperature
display being intermittent? Before I commence disassembling the dash, is it
likely to be the small electric fan that draws cabin air across the climate
control sensor? Any pearls of wisdom, TOTT, you can share on disassembly of
dash or electronics. Much appreciated.

Cheers, Tom

1984 533is 265K
1996 328i now you have heat! Now you don't!
(R)  tomsfam@domain.elided
(O)  Tom.Thomas@domain.elided