Self-destucting Release Bearing

Guys, thanks very much for all the help, I finally got the last booger of a bolt off. Using a
u-joint gave me just enough angle on the socket to seat it properly on the torx bolt.

When I pulled the tranny off here is what I found. Two small pieces of metal that appear to be the
tabs on the back of the release bearing. They fell out of the gunk in the cover plate between the
oil pan and tranny. The ball bearings in the release bearing practically fell out. Also there are
a number of scrapes on the inside of the bell housing probably from these pieces flying around. No
wonder the clutch was very stiff and very noisy.  So what causes a release bearing to
self-destruct??

I have a question for you. The lever that holds the release bearing is held by retaining springs
on the passenger side. Is there supposed to be anything holding it on the driver side?  The driver
side doesn't have the two holes for the retaining springs that are on the passenger side.

I'm still awaiting the new parts, but I'm sure I'll have more questions when they arrive and I
start reassembling.

=====
Phil  Dupont
BMWCCA # 194371