Brake problems on 87 520i.

My brakes have started to come come on while I am driving along, which is a
bit disconcerting!  That is, they start to bind and slow the car down.  A
quick dab on the pedal usually frees them, but clearly something is not
quite right.  If I stop the car, all of the wheels seem to be "hot and
smelly", implying that all of the brakes are coming on, not just one.  I had
originally thought that one or both of the front brake pistons was starting
to seize in the cylinders, but I have checked them and they are moving OK.

So I think that the whole braking system is affected by this.  I assume that
something funny is happening at the master cylinder, which I have not yet
investigated.

Any ideas?  Would a straightforward overhaul or replacement of the master
cylinder do the trick, or is there something wrong with the servo?  Or what?

Help.

Steve

End of bmw-digest V9 #1743