RE: Recommendations for good and affordable 2nd beamer

Ron Tsur [mailto:ron@domain.elided] wrote:

> Then, my son just turned 15 and he is looking forward to
> passing the driver's test and eventually, getting and driving
> his own car.  Following his sister's footsteps, he wants a BMW
> with stick shift - no automatic and no cheap imitation...  The
> trouble is that he is quite tall and can hardly fit inside the
> E30.  I just wonder what are the choices out there for a
> suitable car that will meet both function and price (under $5000)
> for a tall and young driver.

Ron,
Have you looked into E28s? They would fit the budget and should accommodate
your tall son. In 535i/is guise, they should match the E30 325i performance.
As a side note, if your son doesn't fit into an E30s he can forget about
fitting into E36s cars. Hopefully E46s are big enough (they are roughly the
interior/exterior/weight equivalents of E28s, don't get me started on that
one) or there will be nothing but 5-series or Audis in his future.

alex f