<E34> Remote alarm arming not functioning

I've got a '95 E34 5-Series that just refuses to arm via the remote after
some heavy rains today.  When I arm and lock via the remote key, the car
immediately disarms and unlocks.  Wondering if anyone has seen this problem
before...I suspect a problem w/ the main lock module or perhaps a weak car
battery.  It's the original car battery and a good 5-6 years old
now...would a weak battery cause this sort of problem w/ the lock/alarm
mechanism?

Thanks,
Will