Re: to cross drill? or not?

Mike,

E36 M3 or E30 M3?

Why do you feel compelled to "upgrade" the brakes?  What driving conditions
are you faced with where you're needing more braking capability than the
stock M3 brakes provide?

Cross-drilled rotors tend to crack at the holes, and won't provide you with
any real braking improvement.

Slotted rotors won't give you a big gain in braking performance, either.

Euro floaters won't give you a big gain in braking performance.  The Euro
floaters will be less prone to warpage under extended hard braking
conditions (high speed entry to low speed exit on a turn during a driving
school), but bad braking technique can warp ANY rotors.

Frozen rotors are supposed to be more immune to warpage.  Some people swear
by them, others ignore them.  Maybe under racing conditions you can notice a
difference.

The EBC red and green pads SUCK, and you should avoid them.

The only REAL braking improvement that you can make to an E36 M3 is with a
Big Brake kit, which will set you back more than $4k for all four corners.
Unless you're doing some serious track work (racing or LOTS of driver school
events), it's an expense you can do without.

The other brake-related upgrade that can give you a big performance boost
(again, for track driving) is a cooling/ducting system.  If the stock brakes
have a major deficiency, it's in their ability to get heat removed from the
front brakes quickly enough.  So, you can make the rotors bigger (more
surface area to distribute the heat), you can add cooling ducts, or you can
do both.  Wheels that are more "open" will also promote cooling of the
rotors.  IFG wheels are a good example of an open wheel.

You don't need a brake upgrade for street driving...even highly spirited
street driving.  At the track I drive my E36 M3 harder than I'll ever drive
it on the street, and the stock brakes are more than adequate.

- -rb