323i/325i Questions

Hi guys,

I am buying a gray market 323i (with all the papers, fully smogged) that has
had a 325i engine transplant.  I've taken it out for a test run, and after
owning a 74tii for a number of years (love it and miss it), then buying a
528e (nice car, but kind of a dog), the car is least for me, a cool little a
pocket rocket.  Nonetheless, being the general pain in the ass that I am, I
want to make it go faster, corner better, etc...  What sort of modifications
would you recommend that would not set me back a major sums of cash as well
as not compromising the reliability or longevity of the car.

Regards,

- --Michael Escher
michaelescher@domain.elided

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've
got it made.
- -Groucho Marx, 1890-1977