85 318i engine vibration

So I bought an 85 318i for next to nothing.  The car was not running at the
time.  The owner said it needed a new fuel pump.  So I got the car home and
jumpered the fuel pump.  Pump works fine (it makes noise, didn't check
pressure).  So then I pulled the plugs.  The plugs were in bad shape.  Lots
of black gunk buildup.  One of the plug wires was completely shot.  So new
wires and 4 plugs later, the engine started and ran.  So I'm looking for
advice on what to do next.  Here's my problem:

o  Engine only starts after cranking for a very long time (20sec) while
giving full throttle.
o  Once it starts I have to keep giving it gas for a few minutes till it
will idle on it's own.
o  The idle is high ~1500rpm.
o  When I let the clutch out in neutral the engine dies unless it is
completely warmed up.
o  It smells very rich.
o  It vibrates like a bowling ball in a dryer (ok, maybe it's not that bad).
At higher revs it smooths out to something that seems normal.
o  Just from moving it around the drive way the car has no power.  Granted
I'm used to my 325is, but this car is really sad.  It seems like it has a
hard time pulling second gear on my flat gravel driveway.

So what do I check next?

Henry
87 325is
85 318i (if anyone needs parts I may be parting this out soon)
75,76 2002