1991 318is wont start

Horrible and depressing story follows:

I spent three days recovering the 7 cushions on my 1991 318is. It was very
painful (fingers), but looked beautiful when finished. I went outside at
10pm to install them and take a spin in my new car and it wouldn't start. I
heard the starter, it fired for two seconds and then didn't. Subsequent
starts just turned the starter with no fire. All the lights on the display
are lit up, the battery is fine....just no fire. The only electrical change
I did was reconnect the seat belt warning.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Brilliant Red 1991 318is
Bury me in it!
mbolmida@domain.elided