e36 - pool in spare tire well

Well I pulled up the floor mat on my 96 328 to get
some jumper cables I store in the spare tire well and
there was at least 4-5" of water in there!  The
carpeting in the trunk wasn't wet to the touch, no
obvious tears in the trunk weather stripping. There
was no drain I could see so I got most of it out by
pushing in the rubber groumet that the gas lines run
through, then paper towels.  Hope this imersion
doesn't hurt the fuel pump in the well. I did pull
apart, clean and put dielectric grease on the electric
junctions.  It wasn't there in December...any ideas
where this kind of volume of water would come from?

I'll be gone through next Monday so thanks in advance
for any suggestions.

David Morrison
Austin, TX