Exploding Fan Blades in '96 328is

I bought what I thought was a clean used 1996 328is.  I heard a loud sound as
I pulled away from a stop light - a sound like I had just rolled over a big
tin can or something.  I pulled over and realized my fan had been stripped of
blades!  Is this a common problem?  Is this indicative of some bigger
problem?  I cannot detect any other problem.  Any suggestions.  I am lucky
because this car is covered under an extended warranty.  The only other car I
have ever heard of doing this is my Dad's old MGB!

=====
Chris Kauffman
chriskauffman@domain.elided
http://www.bigfoot.com/~chriskauffman