E30 differential

All:
I have an e30 325i with a 5spd. My differential is quite until I reach about
10mph and then I hear a growl that does not get too much louder with speed.
I have changed the diff fluid and wonder if I need the BMW stuff or am I
experiencing a worn out ring/pinion or bearing. I was thinking possible
ring/pinion since I have no noise until I reach about 10mph. Bentley says it
could be other causes. How do I check this out without pulling the pumpkin
cover.
Thanks
Brad Purvis
BMC CCA 149159