Re: bmw-digest V9 #1718

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 08:39:54 EST
> From: DJLogan33@domain.elided
> Subject: The new 315 HP ///M Roadster
>
> I went to a car show last night in Cincinnati and saw the new E46 M3
> convertible and the new M Roadster with the new double VANOS M3 E46 333 HP
> engine in it, but it had only 315 HP. Why did it loose 18 HP? Maybe a less
> efficient exhaust? It also is $5000 more ($47000). If anyone know more,
> please let me know.
>
> Dennis Logan
>
> ------------------------------

Actually, I saw them in Chicago Saturday, as well, with the Windy City
Chapter of BMWCCA. The same question was asked there. It's the air
intakes. There is no place to bring in enough air to get the same rev's
and performance as you get with the M3, although the difference is
minimal, and still a dramatic driving experience. I think that you may
be able to find ways to get more air but I don't know if you will feel
that it is necessary.
David DeBord
BMWCCA