<E28> Ugly noise from the rear

Greetings,
	I have a 87 535is that sounds like the left rear wheel is falling off. I did check and it's secure :-) I get this loud popping noise when the car starts moving, it diminishes some when accelerating (sounds like a card in bicycle spokes, for those who remember doing that), almost goes away when coasting and returns at deceleration. I've never had to work on the axels or differential and it may need professional help. Any ideas?
TIA., Mike