E-30 instrument cluster and OBC questions

Hello everyone,
The other night the lighting behind my speedometer and fuel guage went out.
Now I can't see how fast I am going at night.  I know I've heard of other
problems with things going bad in the instrument cluster on these cars (mine
is an 89 325i) and I'm wondering if there is anything else that I should
replace while I'm in there.  Service indicator battery thingy or something
like that seems like it keeps getting mentioned from time to time on here. . .
I haven't checked Bentley yet, but I think I saw the process described in
there before.  Are there any GOTCHA's that aren't covered in the Bentley book?

The second question is just a curious one.  What is my OBC trying to tell me
when I push the 1 and 1000 buttons at the same time?  It popped up some
display that said something like 30L (+ or -).  Also, there was some other
combination of number keys that I pushed and it showed some other weird
display. . . 4.6 . . .and some other stuff that I can't recall.   Are these
some sort of fault codes?  Or is my car possessed?

Lastly, I was out at the Texas World Speedway in College station this
weekend, watching the Porche club play.  Saw some very nice BMW's as well,
anyone else on here make it out there?
Thanks for any tips,
Jake Hahn
89 325i