Hardwiring a Valentine 1 in an '88 M5, stereo system notes...

Steve is looking to hardwire a Valentine One detector into his M5.

I think the best mounting location for a detector is near the top of the
windshield.  I've got a 325e and I mounted my detector between the top of
the rear view mirror and the headliner, sort of sandwiched in there.  I have
an overhead "status display" with all the check lights, and I was able to
tap a switched 12 volt source there.  The display is visible from either
person seated in the front of the car, but isn't obvious to someone outside
the car.  I pick up warnings from a good distance, and I like the fact that
the detector isn't obvious to onlookers, badged and otherwise.

I can take a photo of this setup and email to anyone interested...

Also, with regards to the stereo system thread, getting bass into the cabin,
staging and imaging;  Much of this is entirely subjective, and many people
are easily convinced that they have the best setup, or that certain brands
or models of equipment are the "best".  Without something to compare to, any
good sounding system just plain sounds good.  If you're happy with your own
setup, then that is the most important part, IMHO.

FWIW, I prefer all of the "imaging" and "localization" information in front
of me
in my car, with no mids or highs behind me.  My partner, also an audiophile,
prefers some "rear fill".  We still get along.  If I'm watching a movie in
DTS
surround at home, then I want to feel that I'm "in the action", with all
channels
receiving their dedicated as well as shared information.  If I'm listening
music, I want stereo in front of me and nothing else.  This is my personal
taste, but I don't necessarily want to "prescribe" it for others to adhere
to.

If visiting or living in the Sacramento area, I'd be more than happy to
demonstrate a nice 4 way system featuring high end components in an e30 for
anyone interested.  I think that any nice system that's balanced and set up
correctly will sound fantastic.  I can achieve 85% of the sound in my car in
most cars without it costing a wheelbarrow full of cash.

Just my $.02

- -Rod Birch