On board computer.

Hello all,

I am in the process of trying to find myself my first BMW and had the following
to ask.

I went to look at a 96 328is with Sport Package today. I didn't have a chance
to drive it yet as I was at work when I stopped into this dealer. And there were
some cars blocking it in. Anyways the salesman gave me the keys so I could at
least look it over. Everything seemed to be in excellent shape. It had low
mileage (about 80k km or 50k miles). So I flicked the car to the on position but
did not start it as I knew I couldn't drive it so didn't want to just start it
and shut her down. Just so I could check mileage anbd stuff. I noticed that the
onboard computer unit had a wacky display. It was semi readable but not easily.
I would normally attribute this to just being a bad display but a few weeks back
I took another car for a drive(a 95 325is, no sport package) and the onboard
computer display was exactly the same. Is this just a coincidence or are these
things prone to having their displays go all funny. Or is it maybe because the
display is cold or something along those lines. Any insight into this would be
appreciated as well as recommendations what I should buy. Am I looking for an
E36 for sure, 2 door, stick. Now are the older 325's more desirable or would I
be better off with the newer 328's. Any things to look out for when inspecting
the car and while driving??

Thanks in advance

- --
Best regards,