5-speed Trans Problems...

My 1986 535i decided to quit on me. The transmission has been getting a bit
balky going in 1st and 2nd. It kind of coincided with the cold weather so I
thought changing to Redline MTL was in order. Before I could do that 1st and
2nd gear quit altogether. I'm guessing maybe the pin on the shift fork
sheared or fell out. Anyone else have a less expensive suggestion? In
looking at the manual it looks like rebuild time. I'm open to suggestions
though. 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse are all just fine. Driving home without
1st and 2nd gear isn't fun...

Thanks,
Mike B.
1986 535i