Big 6 compression

Jim,
  My thinking is based around Boyle's law (at least I think it was
Boyle!) which says that:

     P   *  V          P  *  V
      1      1          2     2
   ------------  ==  -----------
        T                 T
         1                 2

  So assuming adiabatic compression, the temperature doesn't change and we
get: P*V=P*V.  The volume ratios get plugged in and we're left with (for a
10.5 to 1 engine):

     P *1 = P *10.5
      1      2

  I haven't thought in too much detail on how the closing of the intake
valve affects this, but the exhaust valve opening doesn't affect this
because the exhaust valve is closed at TDC when the highest pressure
occurs and doesn't open until afterwards.
- --Rob (computer geek, but not a real physics geek)
  2001 330i