E30 driveshaft question

After removing the driveshaft from my E30 I found out that it was not
sliding on the spline yoke. After consulting my Bentley, I learned that a
nut (looks like a cap) needs to be loosen before any movement is possible.
Well, they were right, After loosening that nut, it was possible to move
the shaft on the splines.

My question is: Should the shaft move on the spline with the nut tightened?
It seem like not. But what makes me perplex, is that in the troubleshooting
area on the Bentley manual, they say if you experience a clunk while
releasing the clutch, it may be due to a seized spline yoke. Well, when the
nut is tightened, the yoke is in the same condition as a seized yoke. I
don't understand.  On my 4 Runner, the two driveshafts have a spline yoke
that are free to move, even for the front differential that is fixed to the
frame like the diff on my E30.

So, should it slip or not?? That is the question.

Thanks
Michel Drainville
91 318ic

End of bmw-digest V9 #1702