RE: 3.2 L motor

Paul Robertson [mailto:robepa@domain.elided] wrote:

> I missed 4th gear and hit neutral, had what BMW calls a
> catastrophic over rev.

Paul,
Sorry to hear about your loss, but you are not telling us the whole story.
No electronically controlled engine can be over-revved in neutral or
accelerating in gear. The DME will cut out fuel supply and keep the RPMs at
the redline. Accidentally grabbing a lower gear then intended and
mechanically over-revving the engine through driver error is how it happens
to the best of us. *Hint* BMW dealer know that as well.
If you were in 4th gear before the mis-shift, you must have grabbed the 1st
instead of the 3rd. 5th->2nd is more frequent, and equally distructive.

> If anyone knows of a good (inexpensive relitively speaking)
> source for new, rebuilt, or used 3.2L M3 motors I would
> appreciate hearing from you.

The last time I heard the cost was directly proportional to the number of
bent valves and degree of collateral damage. Figure $5-8K. Perhaps a little
less at the independent.

alex f