Re: Radar detector confiscated

Confiscating a radar detector may be a gray area in some states, but here
in Quebec, Canada, it is in the black, very black area. There is a law in
Quebec that makes radar detector illegal, and they have the right to
confisc them.  A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was arrested by a
cop who was convinced that he was using a radar detector. May be when the
cop used his gun , my friend hit the brakes, but any ways, while both cars
were slowing down to the side of the road, my friend removed his detector
from its location (it was holding with velcro) and put it in his pocket
thinking that the cop had no right to search on his person without a
mandate.  So the cop told him he was using a detector and he wanted it so
it would be destroy as per the law prescribles it plus the ticket of
course1.  My friend first denied the fact that he was using a detector, but
the cop saw him reach at it and put it in his pocket.  So to make a long
story short, the cop said if he wasn't cooperating and giving him the
detector, he would arrest him, tow the car,  and get the needed papers to
make a search on his person.  So my friend gave up , pulled the detector
from his pocket,, and while the cop tend the hand to take it, my friend let
it drop on the pavement and smashed it twice with his foot, then give it to
the policeman. That way he was sure his detector wouldn't find a new home
in the policeman's brother in law's car or ....$$$.

Michel Drainville
91 318ic