'78 320i electric fuel pump problem?

My '78 320i died on the street three days ago. I'm thinking the electric fuel
pump finally gave out. It had been making a buzzing
noise--intermittenly--when the ignition was turned into the on position. Now
it does not make that buzzing noise anymore. And won't even act like it wants
to start, which I'm thinking may be the total lack of fuel being sent to the
engine.

Also, strangely, before it quit it was smelling like it was leaking gas. Any
ideas?

Kurt
'78 320i
Commishskey@domain.elided