Changing an E30 auto to 5 speed

Hello all,
I am looking at an 84 325IS that is exactly what I was looking for with one
major exception.  It is an automatic.  The car is fairly high mileage, but
otherwise clean.  My question is: How difficult would it be to swap the auto
for a 5 speed down the road when rebuilding the engine?  I could live with
the auto until the engine gets rebuilt, but am looking for a manual
ultimately.  This car is right in my backyard, in good shape and at a good
price.  Worth looking into more, or is the swap more trouble than it would
be worth?

Thanks,
Tim