325 engine problems

I recently purchased a 1986 325.  It has the Motronic electronics.  Over the
last two weeks the engine has started to hesitate during acceleration, and
this may be coincidence, but the idle has started to oscillate from around
800 rpm to 1300 - 1400 rpm.  The previous owner told me he had the auto shop
replace the idle electronics board.  I am looking for a single point of
failure or graceful degradation that may be the cause.  Any suggestions or
ideas?

Thanks,
Brent
'86 325