Re: Drive-train/tranny diagnosis?

Drew,
Could be your driveshaft center bearing on its way out...the bearing sound
is most noticeable at lower speeds, IME. As the bearing becoms worse you may
get an increase in driveshaft vibration, if that's the problem.

Replacement is a moderate-skill DIY project if you've got the Bentley
manual -- and you might as well replace the flex disc and transmission
mounts while you have the driveshaft out. Unfortunately, you'll have to drop
your newly-installed exhaust.

To check the bearing, look under the car and determine its location along
the driveshaft tunnel. Then get a cheap mechanic's stethescope and have
someone else drive the car while you listen along the driveshaft tunnel from
the back seat. You should be able to tell easily if the noise is coming from
the area of the bearing.

BTW, I had a K&N air filter in car and took it out. Too bad you didn't try
to buy one on the mailing list; I bet you could have found a lot of cheap
second-hand ones!
Russ
'87 325ic