RE: Stranded BMW.. and owner

Ron Buchalski [mailto:rbuchals@domain.elided] wrote:

> When the driver's door lock cylinder on my E30 318i became
> worn, it would not allow me to single lock the car, and
> would only double lock it.  Of course, this can result in
> the situation that you describe, where no other locks can
> be opened with the key.

Same experience here: the regular 45 degree locking failed first and I was
double locking the E30 for a few weeks while the dealer was special ordering
a rebuild lock cylinder kit.
However, you CAN get into the car even if it was double locked and the
driver lock failed! Go the front passenger door and attempt to open the
double locked cylinder with the key _as_ you are pulling on the door handle.
Eventually you will hit the sweet spot and the door will open. This features
is there just for such a case: the car is double locked and the driver lock
cylinder is dead.

> Your ultimate solution is to replace the driver's door lock
> cylinder, which is not a difficult thing to do, and will only
> cost you $30 or so for the parts.  Having a dealer replace
> it will probably cost you at least $100 in labor, probably more.

I remember being quoted 2-3 hours of labor to re-key the new cylinder. Which
is roughly how long it takes for a DIY mechanic first time around (not
including getting the cylinder out of the door).

alex f