Re: Stranded BMW.. and owner

Robert,

When the driver's door lock cylinder on my E30 318i became worn, it would
not allow me to single lock the car, and would only double lock it.  Of
course, this can result in the situation that you describe, where no other
locks can be opened with the key.

Your ultimate solution is to replace the driver's door lock cylinder, which
is not a difficult thing to do, and will only cost you $30 or so for the
parts.  Having a dealer replace it will probably cost you at least $100 in
labor, probably more.

Until you replace the lock cylinder, you may want to do what I do...lock the
car from the trunk lock.  That way, you'll be sure to not double lock the
car, and will always be able to open the car from any lock (trunk, passenger
side, driver's side).

- -rb