More wheel sizing (seems to come up a lot...)

Hello All,
I'm about to replace the stock wheels on my '87 325iC with a set of Plus
2's, and I'm getting a ton of conflicting info about what tires to put on
them (even though I've skimmed the digest already).

I've got a set of 16 x 7 mags to replace the standard 14 x 6 bottle caps,
and I'm looking at putting P7000's Supersports on them (mostly daily
driving).

I'm thinking that somewhere in the range between 225/40VR16's and
205/50VR16's is where I want to be. But I'm having a hard time nailing it
down.

Presently, this car is stock height, but in the next two months I'll be
completely rebuilding the suspension with an HR/Bilstein package (which
will drop it an inch or so).

I'd like to fill out the wheel well and stabilize my ride without going
too far astray from normal wheel diameter.

Suggestions?

Relatedly, I've been kicking around the idea of widening the wheelbase
with some additional spacers on the wheel, though it seems kind of
ridiculous to spend the $200 or so per that BMPD wants for the aluminum
discs - anybody have thoughts on that?

BTW, some related resources:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/size.htm
http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi