Re: E36 Snows, suspension, and seat belt sensor

Dennis,

I can't answer all of your questions but the clunking noise sounds
familiar. While in for regular service I had the passenger side ball
joint replaced on the service guys recommendation. About three months
later I hear this clunking noise. On the hoist again they tell me its
the sway bar linkages and now the drivers side ball joint needs to be
replaced. I had the brake wear indicator light on at this point too so
all together $660 CDN.

I think the break down was as follows:
linkages $89
labour linkages $41
ball joint $31
labour ball joint $33
Frnt Brk Pgk $388

This is on a '95 325i with 85000 km. The noise is now gone but my
steering wheel is a two degrees off horizontal. Their response to that
is an alignment should be done regularly any ways and its not off as a
result of the ball joint, sway bar linkage repair.

I hope this is of some help towards your trouble shooting, I run snows
as well without rubbing, but I'm not familiar with the tire/rim specs
and I don't have the sport pkg. With a little snow build up occasionally
I do get some bottoming out that makes an awful noise, but no damage
that I can see.

Good luck
Dino