E36 Weird Transmission

My 325is is doing something rather strange.  Every once in a while - from
one to two months period - it decides not to "go into gear" (it's an auto).
I can put it in reverse or drive or 1 or 2 - doesn't make a difference - and
the car will not move!  Then I noticed that the car will creep forward
enough to move it around on my driveway while it is in "N".  And last time
the transmission was like this I got it going again by shifting from REVERSE
to PARK slowly.  When it's nearly in P the car starts to drive forward as if
it's in "D" but then the park gear starts to take over and it wants to lock
itself.  I did this a few times and then the transmission is fine.  I have
done this twice.

I've had this problem since I got the transmission overhauled - including
replacing the torque converter.  After much thought, since nobody has found
the problem, I concluded that it HAS to be the shift cable either not
properly adjusted or loose at the point where it attaches.  Is this
possible?  Has this happened to anybody?  I would really appreciate help or
insight to this issue from the listserv.

TIA,

Tomas S. Perez
tsperez@domain.elided
1993 325is (automatic)