E34 Instrument Panel

I removed the instrument panel on my 1989 535iA last night because the
computer display was not working.  Boy - what a job squeezing that puppy out
of there.  I decided to loosen the steering shaft and see if it'll give me
an extra inch or two when putting it back into the dash.  Will this work?

I was going to look for a bad connection or cracked circuit board but I was
amazed to see how complex the instrument panel is!  It's worse than a PC
mother board!  I've decided to replace the 3 little 1.2 watt bulbs that are
burnt and put it back for now.  Does anybody know what these things cost?
New?  Used?  They "look" expensive.

Tomas S. Perez
tsperez@domain.elided
89 535iA, 93 325is, 94 540i