E36 '95 Trunk lock button sticking

On the topic of door locks, I wonder if anyone has a remedy for a sticky
trunk lock button. Canadian winters bring plenty of dirty, salty slush
and the protruding button lock just sucks it up. I can usually pop it
open but occasionally the button takes some pulling to come back out.

I guess what I'm looking for is a diagram or exploded assembly of the
mechanism before I start my dissection. I'm wondering if there is an
O-ring or something that can be replaced to reduce the amount of crud
that gets in.

I'd be happy to hear about anyone's method of dealing with this problem.

Thanks
Dino