Re: Winterizing a M Roadster

Hi Robert- I'm from Seattle, and we actually don't get as much severe winter
weather around these parts as our "friends of similar latitude" in the East.
Wintertime in the Northwest lowlands generally means gray skies, light rain,
and temperatures in the 40s. I don't really do anything to "winterize"
either of my cars, other than making sure the coolant is still good, wiper
blades are working effectively and the windshield washer fluid is topped up.
A second set of rims (I'm sure steel is fine, if you can find some to fit
over the brakes) and snow tires is a good idea if you're heading over any of
the mountain passes, going east from Portland or south into California, for
example. For most city driving, however, your regular tires will be fine. We
may not see any snow accumulation at all this year, and generally it's just
a couple inches that goes away in two or three days tops. The last big snow
that Seattle had was just after Christmas 1996.

One thing's for sure, though, you've GOT to hit the Alfa Romeo Owners of
Oregon track day at Portland International Raceway in February. It's the
traditional opening of the Northwest open track season. It's usually wet,
but it's a blast and it teaches car control like nothing else can. Plus PIR
is a fairly forgiving track- usually the worst punishment for a misstep is
having to be pulled out because your car's stuck in the mud. See the link
below for pics of a myself and a couple friends at last year's event.

http://www.nw-fbody.org/events/pir_feb00/

Hope you enjoy your time in the Pacific Northwest. Portland is a great town-
lots of community spirit.

Pat Newton
'85 524td
'97 Firebird Formula