L-Jetronic (E30) Air Flow meter

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had comments/experience with the Bentley bench
test regarding the air flow meter for the L-Jetronic.

Mine is an 85 318i, 130K, with a variety of fuel injection related symptoms
that I am trying to tackle in a systematic way with the procedures outlined
in the Bentley. My mechanic had pointed out to me that someone had
apparently tampered with the air flow meter (clearly the black plastic cap
had been removed and replaced) and suggested replacing it as part of solving
the idle and rich running problems I had. As per the Bentley, I tested the
resistance as the air flap inside the meter moved, and found the resistance
flattened out and dipped along the travel of the flap, so ordered a
replacement. Trouble is the replacement tested out similarly before I
installed it. The parts supplier I bought it from was a little pissy about
the whole thing when I suggested it may be faulty and told me to install it
and see what happened.

So I installed it - the car runs slightly better, but still feels like it's
running rich (I haven't pulled the plugs since doing the work). Does anyone
have any comment as to the validity of the test as outlined in the book? I'm
reluctant to say that it is defective as I realize there may well be
additional parts replacement I need to do before I get to the bottom of all
this. But if the test is valid I want to exchange the meter.

Any input appreciated - sorry for the long post.

Bruce

Bruce Rehm
Pacific Technologies, Inc.
425 881-3991