RE: Help needed - Water pump 88' 325is

Shri Lohia [mailto:slohia@domain.elided] wrote:

> I have difficulty unscrewing the fan clutch assembly from
> the water pump pulley.
>
> I am using a 32 mm open end wrench on the clutch nut and
> holding the pulley with a chain pipe wrench.
> The handles on both wrenches are over 12 inches long. So
> enough torque is  being applied. I have also tries to hammer
> open it. I have also applied liquid wrench.
>
> I understand that it is "left handed thread" so I am opening
> it clock wise as seen from the front of the car. Am I still
> making any mistake?????

Nope, sounds like you are doing everything right.

> It is a tough one to crack. I have done it on 318i a few
> years back without any problem.

Shri,
The best thing I can suggest is get a 32mm wrench with a longer handle and
whack it as hard as you can. With a hammer, if necessary. I mean as hard as
you can!
Holding the pulley is optional since a short hard blow will transfer most of
the force to the fan clutch.
If that does not do it, take it to a mechanic, or better yet, a neighborhood
monkey lube shop and casually raise a $10 bet that none of the guys on the
floor will be able to unscrew your fan clutch. Step back and watch the
pandemonium that will ensue.

alex f