Re: Finally finished my audio....I think?!

Paul Elliott wrote:

>, the stealths are rated 8 ohms each...Therefore, here's the best way to
> handle it...First, bridged, the amp is rated at 300 watts.  The power rating
> on the subs is 150 watts.  And they are 8 ohms.  So, connecting both
> stealths positve lead to the left channel '+', and both stealths negatives
> to the right channel '-', I have effectively bridged the amp, and wired the
> subs in parallel, cutting the load presented to the amp to 4 ohms.  Its the
> ideal way to wire them, given the specs. <snip>  I thought that wiring them
> in parallel presents half the load of each, or 4 ohms to the amp.  I dont know what
> mixed mono mode is, but is that the same as bridged?

 My error.. Mixed mono is used to run a pair of main speakers in stereo
(using the normal + L -  and + R -  for the stereo speakers) while ALSO
running an amp across the bridged L+ and R- at the same time..  I had forgotten
you had  4 channel amp..

> If so, are you saying that what I thought was a 4 ohm load presented to the
> amp, is really a 2 ohm  load?

Correct.

Wiring the speakers in parallel presents a  4 ohm load yes.. HOWEVER, when an amp
is bridged the AMP sees half the load presented across it's bridged channels,
in this case, 2 ohms as you surmised.

>If so, I think I'm still ok...Tell me...The manual for the Excelon
> amp says that in stereo mode, make sure the speakers or the combination of
> speakers is 2 ohms...Bridged, they say to make sure the load is at least 4
> ohms....I guess that this means the amp is '2 ohm stable'?  So, I should be
> fine...But tell me, am I sending the Bridge rated 300 watts to the speakers,
> or is it halved to each speaker, with 150 watts to each?  I have a feeling
> this is it...Still since the speakers are rated at 150 watts, this should be
> perfect.

All correct (300 watts to the speakers, and it is halved across the two speakers).

Mark Williams
Dallas, TX
91 ///M3