E30 Strut bar

A quick questions for those who have a strut bar on their E30 (or others):
I would like to know how the round plate is seating on the shock tower. In
between the three studs holding the strut, there are three bumps that are part
of the tower itself. Does the plate seats on these bumps. If yes, does the plate
as a recess or washers to take the gap between the tower itself and the plate?
Does the plate uses the strut studs for installation or you have to drill three
other holes to mount it??

I'm asking this because I'm currently building a strut bar (stress bar??) for my
E30 cabrio/M42 out of 1X2 aluminum square tube.

Thanks .
Michel 91 318ic