The e30 Radio Search

Henry wrote:
I've burned a lot of hours this week looking for the right aftermarket CD
receiver for my '89 325iX.  I need some leads.

I bought a Kenwood which I thought was perfect because you can switch the
display to red from green to match the interior lights.  But, after reading
the installation instructions, I'm having second thoughts.  The Kenwood
installs by slipping a metal sleeve into the dash and securing it by bending
metal tabs.  Then, the receiver unit slides into the sleeve and is held in
by two metal tabs in the sleeve that "snap" into place.  The problem?  It
doesn't look easily reversible.  It looks to me like I'd have to take the
dash apart to get the unit out.
****Rod's Reply:
The Kenwood unit installs like just about any aftermarket radio into a DIN
style dash opening.  The Kenwood unit, when new, is supplied with Kenwood
"keys", which enable you to remove the radio fairly easily.  Simply remove
the trim ring around the radio's face, then insert the keys on either side
of the face.  Pioneer is similar, Sony a bit different.  Kenwood makes a
fine unit, I have one in my e30, and I've pulled it from the dash a few
times for upgrades/changes to my system very easily.

- -Rod Birch