Re: R compound tires

Paul,

What street tires are you using?

You mentioned that you're new to track driving.  I'd recommend using a
better street tire on the track before going with an R-compound tire. The
characteristics of R-compound tires are different than those of street
tires, and they are much less forgiving at the limit.  My E36 M3 has
Michelin MXX3s, which are great on the track.  I've also driven on the track
with Yokohama A509s (on an E30 318i).  Another excellent street tire
(reasonably priced) that performs well on the track is the Yokohama AVS
Intermediate.

When you're new to the track, you'll learn much more on street tires. Once
you've become comfortable with driving your car at the limits on street
tires, then you should consider switching to R-compound tires for the track.

Another point - a set of R-compound tires and wheels will set you back at
least $1000.  That's an entire season of BMWCCA driver's schools.

One other data point - after many years of driver schools, I finally
purchased a set of R-compound tires for my E36 M3.  I selected the Toyo RA1.
  I was happy with them, as are other drivers I spoke with.  They wear well,
handle well, and are reasonably priced.

- -rb