Smells like a barn in here!

Hey! It smells awful in here.

The driver's side window of my 92 E34 was left open during a rain
recently.  We won't discuss HOW that that happened.  OK....I did it.

I was careful to dry out the carpet and the leather seat, and thought
that was the end if it.  Several days later, though, the interior
started to smell like a barnyard.  Like a horse.  It's not the seat,
not the carpet. It's coming from the door panel.  It's a black
"leatherette" door panel (it's vinyl, right?), and it really smells
now.

I washed down the panel with a cleaner, with little results.

I haven't ripped the panel off yet to investigate.

I have to get rid of this smell.

Anyone gone down this path before?

Jonathan