Re: broken E30 glovebox lock - how to get in?

Drew,

I'm not sure whether you have the same problem that I had, but I was unable
to open the glovebox because the latch broke.  The L-shaped piece of metal
that operates the latch when the handle is lifted had broken.

In any case, I was able to open the glovebox by removing the hinge from the
glovebox and accessing the latch screws from the rear side of the glovebox.
It's not an easy job, but I didn't need to break anything to open the
glovebox.

I purchased a replacement latch from BMW.  By the way, I also found out that
two of the three mounting holes for my glovebox's hinge fasteners were
broken, so I ended up replacing the glovebox with a used one.

- -rb