RE: bmw-digest V9 #1628 - broken E30 glovebox lock

- ------------------------------
Hi Drew,

I have an '87 325is and had the same thing happen to me while driving
cross-country in '94. I think we were in Flagstaff, Arizona at the time
and found a bmw repair shop on a Saturday where, as luck would have it,
the owner/mechanic was there. He used a small pick (like from a small
pick and hook set), slipping it between the glovebox and dash he was
able to open the latch. The latch had broken, I think because it was
shut too hard. After seeing how he did it I was able to do it, and he
was nice enough to give us the little tool to continue our journey
(after taking all important stuff out of the glovebox).

You need a similar tool to slide in there and move the latch arm to open
it.

Replacing the latch is easy, and you can use the original key cylinder
so the extra key isn't really needed.

Good luck.
Kevin