whirrr-whirrr-whirrr

Hey everybody, another day, another problem!

Yes folks, my E36 is making a whirrr-whirrr sound when driven at any speed.
The sound is directly affected by speed and I've checked everything I can
think of.

Possibly the differential?  I believe it maybe coming from the rear and I've
no idea what do.  I've no leaks on this car and everything is tight.  I've
just had an alignment on the car and it is almost true...(I've never had an
alignment done perfectly on this car).  No rim bends and the tires have about
20% tread left on them.

Anybody with ideas?   Any help is always appreciated and I welcome your
$0.02!

Thanks!
- -Ron
rhakim@domain.elided