Opinions/advice needed on buying an '85 524td

Hello- I went out shopping for an "econobox" commuter car yesterday, and
instead ended up looking at an '85 524td. I had asked the used car
salesperson if they had any Honda Civics between $5K and $6K, and she said
no, but pointed at the BMW, so I had to take a look. I've always loved the
E28s, and this one is in great shape. Highlights:

- - 133K miles
- - Automatic
- - One owner, appears to be well maintained from the mountain of receipts
(including original sales receipt and window sticker!)
- - Good condition outside (6 points out of 10, I'd say)
- - Near-perfect inside. The leather looks almost brand new, the carpet is in
great shape. The only flaw is a loose headliner at the front of the sunroof
cover. Would this be difficult to fix?
- - Everything works, except passenger's side power headrest. I've already
found info on the Net on how to fix this problem.
- - Drives really nice, feels solid, no weird noises

Within the last few years, the car has had the following replaced:

- - Glow plug relay
- - Glow plugs
- - Brake pads/rotors all around, master cylinder
- - "Fuel bleeders"   ???
- - Fuel injectors, valve cover gasket, valve adsjutment, "Maintenance Service
II"   ???
- - Water pump at 105K
- - Alternator at 99K

I do not know if it has had the timing belt or the diesel injection pump
done, or if it has had any tranny work. I need this car to last for another
80,000-100,000 miles, and I am specifically worried about the engine,
transmission or turbo blowing up on me. Should I be worried? I haven't
reconstructed the car's entire service history, but from the receipts I
looked at, it looks like it has seen its share of oil changes.

A local shop in my city has been maintaining the car for the past few years,
and I hope to take it to them tomorrow for a buyer's check. I'm sure they
will recognize it- I bet it's the only 524td in my area. I've never seen one
before.

Here's the kicker- the dealer wants nearly $5K for the car. Now, this is a
lot more car for $5K than the Civics I've been looking at, but $5,000 is
$900+ more than the highest "high retail" Kelley Blue Book or NADA value I
could find. I might be able to get them to move a bit, but not $900. I'm
wondering if the car is worth the money, given the fantastic service history
and records.

Please let me know if there are any other 524td owners on this list, and
tell me what I should consider when deciding to purchase this car.

Thank you,

Pat Newton

End of bmw-digest V9 #1618