Clutch Slippage?

Can someone maybe explain what's going on?  To test the integrity of my
clutch, on a slight incline, I will get up to about 35 mph, gas it to about
4000 - 4500 rpms, shift into fifth, and let the clutch out fairly quickly.
What usually happens the few times I've tried it is that that the clutch
will grab with no slippage.  Just now, however, when I did it, instead of
grabbing, it started slipping like a bandit, and only stopped when I backed
off the rpms....I tried it a couple of more times, using both 4th and 5th at
about 4K rpms with the same slipping results.  Then, to double check, I
tried a couple of agressive first to second shifts to see if it would grab
enough to leave rubber , and , under this condition, it did, no problem...I
would think that if it were slipping badly enough to need replacement, it
would slip too badly for first or second gear rubber as well....But this
seems not to be the case.  When I got home, the car stunk of clutch, like I
only smelled once before, after some 0-60 tests.

Now, the clutch is stock, and the car only has 19K miles on it.  Aside from
some 0-60 tests with my Gtech/pro (under 20 runs in total), I usually shift
without leaving rubber, and am pretty easy on the clutch....I do have a
Vortech supercharger, but Dinan says the stock clutch is adequate until you
produce over 370 ft lbs, which Im easlily 60 under.  So, how is it possible
that my clutch is gone after just 1.25 yrs of ownership and 19K miles?  Or,
is it possible this was a temporary condition?  I had just come from the car
wash....any chance water had anything to do with it?  Prior to the test
which produced the slippage, I had been doing nothing except driving to the
car wash, and around town, with very unagressive clutch activity...

Looking forward to your comments.  Thanks.

Paul Elliott
'99 Alpine White M3; <20000 mi; Forged M dbl-spokes; Rotex pads; Dinan Stage
II Supercharger; Stygar Short Shift Kit and clutch stop; Skaags pedals