A/C blower resistor pack

Hi listmembers!

I have visited this list with my fan problem (works at full speed only)
once
already. Now I tried to follow the directions of a german service manual
(by
H.R. Etzold, Delius Clasing Verlag) which suggests, that the resistor
pack in
question should be located somewhere between the A/C unit and front
wall.
Alas, on my car ('90 E34 Euro 530i) in that place there is a solid
electronic
module which has three connectors connected to lots of thin wires.
The cables
emanating from the fan swich had much bigger diameter, about
1-1.5mm which
suggests that some power gets switched directly by the fan
speed switch.
Someone on this list suggested also, that the resistors are located on the
fan
switch itself. I disassembled the whole A/C control panel and found
out that
the switch is indeed a simple 4-position switch, no resistance
whatsoever
between the pins of the switch itself!
So I have the question: does anybody of you have come across similar problem
and knows where this resistor pack is located in the car, so one could test
and replace it?

TIA
Priit Varik

End of bmw-digest V9 #1605