Re: bmw-digest V9 #1599

I had the same "dead battery" problem.  Between the dealer and Bentley managed to work it out.
You need to turn the key whilst lifting the handle on either front door.  It takes a while.  Each lift
and wiggle raises the knob a few thousandths of an inch.  Just keep at it!

I was told later that an easier way if you can open the trunk is either to trickle charge the battery
via the trunk light, or having connected another car's battery via the trunk light, to open the door
normally.

Good luck!

>Help!  What's the trick to getting inside a locked 1989 535iA when the
>battery is dead?  I tried both front doors, turning the key both to the
>right and then left.  Then I tried lifting the door handle and then turning
>the key.  Car is still locked.  Btw, I can unlock the trunk.

Barrie k. Davis.