Check Engine light?Oxygen Sensor?

I recently had my check engine light come on after i had a little fender
bender. The local shop says they looked in a manual and figures out the
problem. If you just turn your key so that the lights come on in the dash,
the check engine light will blink. If it blinks twice it is suppose to be
the Oxygen sensor. And if it blinks 3 times its something else and etc...
Does anyone have expereince with this? Also if my O2 sensor is bad or just
malfunctioning what negative effects will it have on my car? on the engine
or performance? Any help on how to deal with is would be greatly
appreciated. I need to fix it before the problem gets worse. Thanks again.

Jason