E34 trans diagnosis needed?

I have a 1990 535i automatic (E34) with nearly 190,000 miles on it.
Something has finally "give out," but I'm not sure whether its the whole
trans or the torque converter, or ?  In every gear it acts the same--engine
revs up, massive slippage, car barely moves, if I let up on the gas it
momentarily engages pretty solidly once the engine revs come down, but as
soon as I reapply the gas I get high revs, slippage, and no go.  Is that the
converter?

I'd appreciate any diagnostic help you care to give.
Thanks,
Ken Cory